Join 876 other subscribers
Top Posts & Pages
- 40 years later: The Schwinn Sports Tourer
- Running fixed gear with vertical dropouts: the Trek 2300
- A look back at the small bicycle wheel
- Bendable blue: The Schwinn Sports Tourer
- Missouri maps the Katy, Elly tips the shops, Diane colors the Brompton
- Maybe the most important thing to remember about the eccentric bottom bracket shell
- Why ride an old bicycle?
- North end of Bushwhacker all bikes, all the time
- Tire-width experiment on tandem needs more time
- A conversation with Rob English about his 10.8-pound road bike, single-sided hubs and getting his weekends back
- Follow 16incheswestofpeoria on WordPress.com
Tag Archives: memory
Uses of the past
Nostalgia is nonsense, the past rearranged to suit a fantasy of the way things were. Nostalgia is discarded farm implements left in the weather to rust, solidify, and decay in the service of decoration. Memory, on the other hand, when … Continue reading
Posted in History, Off topic, Other bicycles Tagged cottered crank, Fiction, Holdsworth, memory Leave a comment
A ditch in time. 30 days of biking, #24
This photo is a lie. Well, not a lie—instead, it contains far too little truth. Just like so many photos, paintings, sculptures, essays, speeches, inscriptions, magazines, books, podcasts, blogs, databases, casual conversations, compilations, tattoos, and cave paintings. What is truth? … Continue reading
Posted in #30daysofbiking, bicycle, History, Off topic, Report from the road Tagged #30daysofbiking, bicycle, bike, ditch, memory, questions, truth, water 1 Comment
Back to the beginning. 30 days of biking, #18
What’s your origin story? I don’t mean the sex thing. I’m vaguely aware of where babies come from and that many babies successfully avoid being drawn into the ways of Wall Street, politics, drug use, search engine optimization, and the … Continue reading
Posted in #30daysofbiking, bicycle, History, Read and roll Tagged #30daysofbiking, bicycle, bike, memory, origin story 1 Comment
Does everyone know what time it is? That’s right: It’s coffee time!
I once lived in a house with gray siding in Washington, Illinois. You may have lived in a house made of brick in a different town. (Maybe one of straw—quick, is there a wolf outside the door?) I’m not here to … Continue reading
Posted in Off topic, Report from the road Tagged coffee, memory 3 Comments
Why ride an old bicycle?
Old reminds A bicycle that has grown old with you has a history. Your history. You turned it into the path and followed the path. The sun was at a certain angle. The clouds looked like animals or hats. Sometimes … Continue reading
Posted in History, Read and roll, Report from the road Tagged aging, bicycle, memory, old technology, technology 2 Comments
You must be logged in to post a comment.